Final Agenda and related matters for WC meeting Paris, 2013


*** UPDATED ***

International F18 Catamaran Association.

World Council Meeting.

FFV office, 17, Rue Henri Bocquillon, Paris 75015.

14th December 2013. 9.30 hrs.


Welcome by the President.

1. Apologies for absence.

2. Approval of Council minutes July 2013.

3. Financial update.

4. Acknowledgement and thanks to James Baeckler for his work as Secretary General 2009 to 2013.

5. Worlds 2014 Update .

6. Worlds 2015. Decision regarding venue. Europeans depending upon decision.

7. Worlds 2016. Decision regarding venue. Europeans depending upon decision.

8. Action required following from Council July 2013.

9. A. Excess hull length.

10. B. Dagger Board movement. (Gybing dagger boards)

11. C. Cloth List. Reference tape usage.

12. DRAFT Championship Rules. Council decision.

13. Financial support for container movement for major regattas. Council decision

14. XL Sail development. Council decision.

15. In House Certification. Council decision.

16. Update on commercial website.

17. Establish Partnership Programme with commercial supporters. Council decision.

18. Establish Coaching programme. Council decision.

19. Handicap for F18 SCHRS.

20. Future of Classic F18’s.

21. Introduction of “wishbone booms”. Council decision.

22. Dates for major regattas 2014.

23. French NCA Submission 02/13 ref Measured Sails.

24. Any other business.

Members of Council.

1. Would ALL members wishing to attend, PLEASE let me know.

2. One third of National Class Associations will have to be present to ensure the Council meeting is quorate. Nine NCA’s in total.

3. Voting will be in line with current membership, as follows:

ARG. 8 HUN. 6

AUS. 8 HKG 1

BEL. 6 IRL 2

BUL. 2 ITA. 14

CAN. 5 LIT 1

CHI. 2 NED. 17

DEN. 1 NOR 3

ESP. 4 NZl 1

EST. 2 POL 1

FIN. 5 SUI 1

FRA. 24 SWE 6

GBR. 8 USA. 10

GER. 18 Total 156.

4. NCA’s present will each be given a voting card, detailing the number of votes.

5. NCA’s sending apologies, therefore not present will have their cards presented to the President, who will vote as they have requested, clearly stating “For” or “Against”

6. NCA’s wishing to apply to hold Championships may have one additional person present to help their presentation.

7. The financial figures will be distributed SEVEN days before the meeting, it is important that all NCA’s have their budgetary requirements prepared.

8. Would all NCA’s please prepare a list of dates of their major championships for 2014, emailing them to me prior to the 14th December

9. There will be short lunch break at 13.00 hrs.

Clearly the attached agenda is considerable. Let me provide details for each item.

Item 3. The financial papers will be distributed prior to the meeting. Target date is SEVEN days .

Item 5. Irish Chair. Adrian Allen will update the Council on preparation for the F18 Worlds 2014

Item 6/7. We have received applications to host the F18 World Championships from:

Argentina. Worlds November 2015. ( stating Spring 2016 not suitable as the host Club is already committed.) Request has gone to Argentina asking if Spring 2016 could be reconsidered.

Germany Worlds July 2015.

Oman. Worlds February / March or October / December 2015.

Spain. Worlds July 2015

UK. Europeans 2015 or 2016. To suit Council decisions.

There are FIVE applications to host, I have written to the NCA’s asking them if they wish to attend.

The Argentinian, German, Oman and Spain bid have been on website for some time. The UK application has been posted and the French proposals are attached.

Proposal from France NCA. Major regatta structure, not venue. See Attachment 9.

Item 8.

a. Excess hull length of boats measured in Grosseto. Please Chief Measurer’s comments and response from builder. Attachment No1.

b. Raised by the French NCA for clarification. Clear ruling required to ensure that movement in dagger boards is limited. Attachment 2.

c. Raised by the French NCA for clarification. Clear wording required on tapes , width and material. Attachment 3.

Item 12. DRAFT Championship Rules. These rules are still in DRAFT form, and will take into account recent proposals.

Item 13. F18 sailors agree that one of the qualities of the Class is to attract sailors from other Continents. Australia NCA have asked that Council considers providing financial support. Quotations are being prepared.

Item 14. XL Sails The original request came from USA with good support from Holland. Attachment 4.

Item 15. In House certification. Measurement has presented f18 sailors with many problems for years. Attachment 5 and 6. I am asking for agreement from Council to continue working with ISAF.

Item 16. Update on F18 commercial website.

Item 17. There needs to be a closer relationships with our commercial partners. I am asking for agreement in principle from Council. Attachment 7

Item 18. Coaching has always been valued by F18 sailors. I am asking Council that we may establish a coaching structure with F18. Attachment 8.

Item 19. The handicap for F18 catamarans in some racing has caused concern, I have asked the Chair of the SCHRS to address the meeting.

Item 20. There are many older F18’s in the world, and every effort needs to be taken to get them active again. General discussion.

Item 21. I have received a request from US that wishbone booms could and should be allowed within F18 rules. Final decision.

Items 23. French NCA . Measured Sails. Received 18.00. 15.11.2013 See Attachment No10.

Items 24. Any other business. Matters can be discussed but no decisions taken.

Attachment No1. Hull length in Grosseto.

Report from Chief measurer.

Boat length and Regulation 20

  1. Boat length:
    Two boats (Capricorn C2) controlled were measured:
    HUN 63 : 552 8mm, GER 276 : 552 and 7 mm.
    I considered that the control conditions (the boats were placed on a trailer into the water and held in the hand) and measurement tools did not have all the necessary rigor may lead to a possible disqualification.
    This it is necessary to initiate a series of control (To be continued soon).

Response from Builder.

I have measured the boat that I have here.

A couple of things are critically important when measuring the hull length if using plumb bobs

  1. The boat must be set up with the waterline horizontal.
  2. The water line is from the bottom of the transom to a point 50mm up from the bottom of the bow.
  3. The transom of the C2 is raked by 2.8mm. The bottom of the transom is the datum point.
  4. The bottom half of the bow is also slightly raked aft. 

The measured length of the hull was 5.516 +.002

This is 2 – 6mm under the required maximum allowed length. ( variance due to measuring tolerance with the method used )

This is exactly as I would have expected at the hull was designed using a cad program and the plug was CNC milled. The design length of the hull is 5519.5mm. The accuracy of the milling machine was .05mm over the 5520mm length of the hull. The final sanding and finishing of the plug would have reduced the length by approximately 1mm.

The mould, constructed from polyester resin would be 2 -3mm shorter than the plug due to shrinkage of the polyester resin as it cures.

The hulls produced from the moulds would also be 2-3mm shorter than the mould due to shrinkage of the resin as it cures.

My expectation is that the hulls would all be 5mm within the maximum length +- 1mm allowing for the finishing and joining of the hull.

I have yet to get the measurement of the mould. This will be the most accurate measurement that could be taken as it can be measured as a straight line with no impediments.

At this point I am 100% confident that all hulls are within the class maximum length of 5520mm.

I would be more than happy to have an independent measurement done in strict controlled conditions if there is still any doubt about the length of the hulls.

The measured length of the  HUN63 and GER276 I can only assume was due to the inaccuracy of the measurement method. It would be impossible to have a hull be 10 – 12mm longer due to the joining and finishing of a hull.

Hope this resolves the issue.

Attachment No 2.

Report from Chief Measurer in Grosseto.

I asked the Measurement committee checks the system, it was controlled by a group of 5 measurers (myself and 4 Italian measurers) all the measures requested by the group have been made:
The daggerboard is consistent:
1. Rule ERS E.1.2 (h)
2. Rules F18 : E.3.1 (a), (b), E.3.2 (a),  E.3.3 (a), (b), (c), (d), (E.3.3 (e) no check).
Without a height restraining in the fully lowered position daggerboard has limited to 6mm left and right transverse thurs.
With height restraining is fixed daggerboard in the axis of the plane of symmetry of the hull.
Height restraining seeing pictures Puit de dérive et butée 1, 2, 3 Phantom.
This device complies with Rule F18 E.3.5 (a).

Attachment No 3.

Request from French NCA. For builder/sail maker for clarification.

Tape on sail construction :

It is requested to know if the use of tapes in sail reinforcement is allowed from the clew, headsail and tack points. Following the last limitation on the edge of the sail (Spring 2013), taking in consideration the fact that reinforcement of the sails are not limited and rule G.3.4 which is allowing tapes in construction a clarification on this point is necessary to clarify the sail construction.

The clear goal is to build main sail using light material from the list with unlimited reinforcement using tapes as UK sails tape drive.

Salut James,
J’ai plusieurs questions concernant la jauge F18:
Au niveau des voiles, du foc et de la GV, peut-on faire le corps de la voile dans un tissus autorisé dans la liste, et posé des bandes de renforts ( celle ci étant en fibre de polyester )partant des trois points (amure/écoute, écoute/tétiére, tétiére amure) a l’image du tape drive de chez UK Sails.
Peut-on avoir un systéme de réglage des dérives:
qui permettent de mettre de l’angle d’incidencepar rapport a la ligne de foi de la coque
qui permettent de basculer celle-ci vers l’avant ou l’arriére
Pour les peser des équipages, est-il possible de s’inspirer de ce qu’il exsite dans d’autres séries internationale, et dire en quels tenus l’équipage doit etre peser, sous vetement par exemple, pour eviter tout excés ( bouteille d’eau sous le blouson, et empillage de couche de vétement )

Attachment No 4.

XL Sail Plan.

Please note the summary of the US published on the website.

After much discussion there seems general agreement that F18 ought to go forward with the XL sails idea. However the views are not unanimous and there was a small but VERY strong thoughtful group (two sailors)  who thought that this was a bad move !

I have included three sail makers who have made contributions to the discussions. Jay, Greg and Peter and I thank them for their work. (I have also sent a copy to William Sunnucks (Chair of SCHRS) , so that any thoughts he may have concerning the SCHRS implications.

SUMMARY. (of opinions)

  1. The size of the XL sails should be standard main, 17sqm including the side area of the mast.
  2. The jib should be 4.6 sqm
  3. The spinnaker should be 23 sqm.
  4. The jib design should left to the sail makers and IF18CA should not provide more rules. The jib head, leech and foot measurements should be a matter for sail makers NOT rules. 
  5. The same comments for spinnaker development.
  6. The crew weights should be a minimum of 175 kgs. In first instance this might be too heavy, but better to be able to bring weight down than take it up at a later date.
  7. There should NOT be any other 50% weight carrying rules, just weigh 175 kg and then sailors can use larger sails. 
  8. The development is open for a two year trial, and no boat with XL sails can sail in National or International regattas. A review after this period to take place.
  9. There should not be a limit on the numbers of XL sails being used.
  10. The BIG Concern that sailors under 175 kg will buy the sails and use in F18 regattas, or long distance racing, even producing a new handicap therefore breaking one of the Founding Principles that F18 is created for level, NOT handicap, racing.
  11. The second BIG concern is that it will appear that there are changes to F18 rules, at a time when the general view is that IF18CA ought to tell the sailing world that there are NOT any changes planned. I have written to all sail makers and builders, the response wasn’t great but those that did reply stated VERY clearly that not just should there not be changes, but IF18CA ought to shout loud and clear THERE ARE NOT ANY CHANGES PLANNED for F18 rules, two and four years was suggested.
  12. I have attached the work done in the US, we thank them for that, please note the question asked there was for 165kg, generally considered too light by most respondents.

Please see the report on website of boat and crew weights from Grosseto prepared by Chief Measurer. Also details of the crew weights 2007 to 2013. This report is useful to add to the above discussion.

Attachment No5.

ISAF have been determined that F18 cannot move forward with IHC unless F18 stops the practice of measuring the main and the mast to give a max. of 17sqm.

  1. We know that Measurement has created real problems for some of our sailors for many years, and if we can get to a “buy it – use it” the situation will help all our sailors.
  2. I have spoken at length again with Rob Taylor of their Technical Dept. and come to agreement that ISAF will accept.
  3. It is important that our Chief Measurer accepts this change. It is NOT a rule change, although it will go down in ISAF records as a rule change, as you know, I want to be VERY clear with all our owners and “would-be” owners that changes in future will be few and far between.
  4. I want to get these figures agreed then we can finalise in Paris on December 14th, that means everything has got to be completed by November 9th.
  5. Rule F.3.2 states ”Mast spar circumference 385 mm maximum”. Measurement of mast spar sections currently being used are as small as 338 mm and as large as 375 mm   So all mast spar circumferences are under 385 mm. The smaller circumferences are on the early F18’s.   
  6. Rule 3.2 states that the “Distance from the Upper point and the front beam is 9100 mm.”
  7. Rule F.2.5 a states The distance between the top of front beam and the mast datum point shall not exceed 120 mm”
  8. Therefore the distance from the Upper point and the mast datum point is 8980 mm.
  9. The “mast side” is 50% of the circumference, so the maximum mast side is 192.5 mm.
  10. Mast side length 8980 x 192.5 mm = 1.728 sqm. rounded to two places of decimals is 1.73sqm.
  11. The sail  and mast maximum area is 17sqm, so therefore the sail must not be more than 15.27 sqm.
  12. F18 does not have a tack point position measurement, so the tack point can be as low as the sail maker wishes, hence ISAF are clear that the whole mast area MUST be included right down to the Mast Datum Point, just in case, worst case scenario that the tack point goes right down to the Mast datum Point. Also they are using the maximum circumference permitted.
  13. Therefore, after discussion, I suggest a maximum SAIL AREA of 15.27 sqm. with a maximum MAST AREA of 1.73sqm and put this forward to ISAF to enable IHC to develop within the Class. Comments please.

Attachment No 6.


The ISAF In-House Equipment Certification (IHC) Programme is a scheme whereby satisfactory equipment control is achieved and equipment certified by manufactures through the application of a Certification Quality Management System under licence issued by the ISAF directly or via an ISAF delegate.

IHC, by definition, will apply to manufacturers. As most manufacturers are not class specific (i.e. they make equipment for more than one class) the scheme cannot be class-specific. This means that ISAF IHC can only be introduced by the ISAF and not via Class Associations (CAs). However, classes associations do have a clear role within the Programme through the enhancement of equipment control specifications and hands on control training. This makes the class associations, together with manufacturers and MNAs, firm stakeholders in the Programme.

Please note that IHC is under ISAF Control and noted above. Pierre-Charles and I will be working with ISAF over the next few months, if Council agrees in principle to adopt IHC.

Attachment No7 Partnership programme.

I believe strongly that we ought to develop a closer working relationship with ALL our suppliers, boat builders, sail and cloth makers, gear suppliers, insurers, rope suppliers, in fact all those companies that work with us to develop F18 sailing throughout the world.

The world has passed through a difficult period financially and there is real evidence that those days are coming to an end, and we have to be ready to support our suppliers with a dynamic and vibrant Class Association that is commercially aware so can they benefit from increased sales of new craft. This means that each National Class Association should support Open days, Trial Sail Days, space on websites and many other activities for ALL our suppliers.

It has always been F18 policy to treat all builders equally, that is why we do not publish the brand of boats with the results, it is up to the building companies to promote their results, it is not up to F18 to support one builder more than another. It is always interesting to see that at major championships, ever since started in 1990’s, there has always been a blend of builders in the top ten boats so there is still real evidence to say that any of our F18’s are faster than any other. We all know that F18’s are quicker than they were 20 years ago, and that is due to the care of designers and builders/sail makers. They are the ones who pay for staff, exhibition space, advertising, I believe we need to be more active in promoting their efforts.

In the past, our website has had a small notice on one of the pages listing builders and sail makers. I wish to take that much further forward and include all their logos, website addresses on a leading page so that any sailor seeking knowledge from F18 will see the suppliers who support F18 sailing.

We need to make sure that at regattas, we can allocate space for them to promote their supplies and in return provide a little more income to the Class Association. 

Attachment No 8.


To give F18 a deserved reputation as the Class that takes coaching seriously, with the aim to lead other classes by example so attracting more sailors to the Class..


1. To get the F18 Council to agree that coaching is important and that they “buy” into development and agree allocation of resources. 

2. To develop a syllabus that provides sailors with a clear route for improvement.

3. To develop, without too much bureaucracy, a monitoring process that ensures that monies spent achieve clearly identifiable targets.

4. To ensure that F18 sailors in all parts of the world can expect the same high standards.

5. To create a  group of National coaches that achieve F18 and National Authority standards.



There will be a balance between those countries that wish to support and those who feel that they have their own resources. Also there will be careful allocation of resources to achieve international aims but gaining true international status is important. Considerable “selling” and diplomacy will be required.


We need a clear syllabus prepared by a recognised coach who has the knowledge, skills and attitude to lead the F18 Class.


A monitoring process where sailors can appreciate their development and where a national coach can clarify “learning outcomes” which can be monitored to ensure “vale for investment”.


To ensure that National Coaches work under the leadership of central involvement, achieving qualifications that satisfy each National Authority regulations, eg. “Working with children certificate”, Certificate for power boat competence, First Aid, and all local national requirements including insurance.


To run “coach the coaches” courses so that standards are replicated in all F18 countries. 


To get all NCA’s to plan ahead so that details are known in advance, so allocation of monies is open and seen to be fair.

The structure of IF18CA means that I prepare DRAFT information for the Board of Management, when they sanction the work, it goes to the Council which meets twice per year. The next Council meeting is in Paris on December 14th and it is my intention of having a coherent plan ready by then. I stress again that all this work is in DRAFT and so recipients are welcome to add, change and delete as they feel appropriate. All papers have to be with Council a minimum of 28 days prior to the meeting so I have little time for the work.

Attachment 9.

IF18CA Worlds Council Dec 14/2013 Submission 01/13 by French F18 class  

Worlds event format change to optimize the sailing time, improve fair sailing and give a better appeal to the media.

Current situation : The current championship book used to run the 5 sailing days at Worlds event when more than 100 boats are registered is based on 6 qualifying series for each of the 4 constituted groups followed by “XX” final series for gold and silver fleet.

Facts : Whatever the spot location, weather conditions are playing a key factor in event success.

In the last 7 years the final series did happen to often during the last day of the event or did oblige the fleet to go back to shore in the middle of a sailing day to seed the fleet with consequence  : a waste of time in protests and fleet seeding.

The fleet is dived in 4 constituted  groups for the qualification series using non homogeneous national ranking lists and Wild cards which may not reflect teams level with consequence to affect the level of 4 constituted group during the whole qualification period which may last until the last day of the Worlds.

By having the possibility to sail 4 consecutives qualification days, it is hard to raise media interest for F18 Worlds events.

Purpose and Objective :

The purpose of this change is to ensure a faire qualification period, optimize the sailing period, attract media with a clear program in a sort of way it is used by modern series such as 49er and Narca 17.

Proposal :

When more than 100 boats are on the entry list :

Ensure 5 qualification races or 3 event days (first limit reached) as qualification period for the 4 groups prior to seed the fleet for the final series.

For the qualification period, the 4 groups distribution is as follow:

  • For day one the groups are divided according to national ranking.
  • For day 2 and 3  the groups are divided according to the daily overhaul provisional results.

If races are sailed in excess of 5 during day 2 or day 3, they are added to the overhaul provisional result prior to seed gold and silver fleets, bellow maximum races to be sail per days to reach the actual target of 15 races sailed during the week.

Max races sailed per days :

Day one : no more than 3 races,

Day two : no more than 4 races,

Day tree : no more than 4 races,                                           

Day four : no more than 4 races,

Day five : no more than 3 races

Scoring system remain unchanged.

Reasons :

By Adjusting the F18 format to media visibility, by ensuring to the sailor the best effective cost per sailing day, by having 4 well balanced groups for the qualifications series this proposal is helping to develop F18 Worlds events.

Attachment No10.

IF18CA Worlds Council Dec 14/2013 Submission 02/13 by French F18 class  

Deliver sails measured to the customer within the frame of the class rules book keeping certification cost at the lowest level.

Current situation : The current sail measurement certification process require for customers to appoint  a measurer to certify new sail prior to use it.

Class rules reminder :

  • The F18 class as box rules is using measurement form to certify boats. This organization allow any builder to enter the game as it is explained in the Formula 18 guiding principal Class rules introduction :

“The box measurement rule allows manufacturers to develop catamarans that are competitively priced yet allowing freedom to builders to develop higher levels of performance. Being open to any manufacturer allows many builders and sail makers to compete and so keep costs to a minimum”.

  • The class rules precise in administration section that :

“A10.1 Each NCA shall keep a complete record of all F18 catamarans and sails that

have been certified within that country”.

  • In appendix B The sail maker shall establish a declaration rule of compliance with all

” technical data sheets on materials shall be made available”.

Facts :

The current measurement situation which may be satisfactory from measurement side may limit class development in some cases and particularly for building classes.

By ensuring all possible different sails and mast designs to compete in a strict limitation of 17 sqm, the class guaranty a fair game between all stakeholders whatever if the production is coming from a large or a small producer.

Purpose and Objective :

The goal of this proposal is to propose new sails stamped “ready to sail” directly to the customers in the strict frame of the current class rules with no cost in excess for the customer whatever the origin of the production.

Proposal :

The proposal is limited to few document upgrade as all data are already existing split or hidden in different places. One email exchange between customer and NCA validate the certificate.

Document updates :

  • Update the measurement form to have the platform including mast and mast area on a same doc and rename this document : F18 measurement root file (page 1/2 of the current certificate).
  • Add to the measurement root file form a block called : main sail max area allowed.

result of : 17 sqm minus mast area

  • Add on the mast sticker the max sail area allowed.
  • Update the sailmaker declaration compliance by adding the sail data with sail area (sailmaker).
  • Update the sail label by adding the sail area.

Process :

For the customer :

  • Order a sail in line with main max sail to sail maker,
  • when sail is received, simply add the sailmakers declaration compliance as sail measurement sheet to the measurement file root.
  • Declare to the NCA the new set of sails.

For the NCA :

  • Update national log with new data, issue a sail class mark to the customer.

RMK : for other sails such as Jib and Kit the process is even more simple, just : order, declare, and go sailing.

Benefit of the current proposal versus IHC pgm :

  • Do not increase retail sails price due to the cost of procedure such as regular internal or external loft audit, loft fees to IHC, ISAF stickers and extra Worker man hour,
  • Do not change any F18 class rules,
  • Ensure to local sail maker to compete on the same basis as larger lofts.

See major loft list certified IHC:

Small sail maker may not having sufficient funding to join IHC according to their local market.

See audit pgm :[4258].pdf

  • Keep incomes within the national classes, where founding is a vital issue to growth,
  • Guaranty that all sail limitations approved from years are valid by not adding a distortion in the measurement process,
  • Do  not create a kind of new tax which may increase in years to come. We are already good contributor to ISAF budget with plaques.