The 2nd edition of the Raid ROUND CHAUSEY regatta took place the weekend of 23-24 August 2014. Eleven catamarans run on a single track: the bay of Mont Saint Michel and the archipelago of Islands Chausey. The Raid was open to Classes F18 catamarans and interseries with less than 1.04 rating.
On Saturday at the riders’ briefing ideal sailing weather was announced with a windchill of North West from 8-12 knots, sunshine and a slightly choppy sea. The first stage ended in South Chausey entry where the first finishers came in after 2h24min.
Ranking F18 after 1st stage:
- Maxime & William Lesguillier – 2h24m0s
- Charles & Maxime Hainneville – 15s
- Fabrice Walhain and Thierry Pelissier – 2m55s
Ranking other classes after the 1st stage:
- François Tapin and Christine Velu – 2h38m31s
- François Sangiardi and Matthieu Morel – 1m41
- Gilles Provost and J-C Theo – 3m10s
After a picnic on the water, the competitors set off for the second stage: round Chausey and back to Jullouville, after rounding the buoy Videcoq (halfway between Chausey and Granville). From the North of Chausey the spinnakers were hoisted and going downwind with a 12 knots of breeze is like ‘magic’. The Hainneville brothers managed to take the lead and finished 1st day of racing in 1st position.
On Sunday, the weather forecast indicated very little wind with a forecast of 5 knots to 1 or 2 knots during the day. The original route was revised and finally make a nice trip to Granville and then back to Jullouville. Under spinnaker in light breeze the boats rounded the buoy towards ‘the turret of the Wolf in Granville’ and proceeded to Jullouville. But just before Kairon, the wind completely died and finishing within a reasonable time was impossible. This stage was canceled and all boats were towed in.
Final F18 results of the Raid ROUND CHAUSEY 2014:
- Charles & Maxime Hainneville – 4h33m15s
- Maxime & William Lesguillier – 4h44m10s
- Fabrice Walhain and Thierry Pelissier – 4h47m27s
Ranking other classes:
- François Tapin and Christine Velu – 2h12m1s
- Gilles Provost and J-C Theo – 5h18m34s
- François Sangiardi and Matthieu Morel – 5h23m20s
For a nice photo overview of the Raid ROUND CHAUSEY 2014: http://www.cvjullouville.com/round-chausey/round-chausey-2014/157-tres-belles-conditions-pour-le-tour-de-chausey-lors-de-round-chausey-2014