- The full title of the Association shall be “The International Formula 18 Catamaran Association” (IF18CA)
- The object of the Association is to promote the interests of the IF18CA through the World
- 2.1 To co-ordinate and manage the affairs and rules of the IF18CA in co-operation with the International Sailing Federation (ISAF), the National Sailing Authorities, the National Associations, the builders, sail and equipment makers and National Associations.
- 2.2 To maintain the level rating character of the Formula 18 catamarans.
- 2.3 To promote and develop competition within IF18CA.
- 2.4 To comply with objectives and decisions of ISAF as they apply to IF18CA.
- 2.5 To encourage and foster the sporting and recreational aspects of sailing.
3. Jurisdiction and Organization.
- 3.1 The IF18CA shall have the sole and only authority of any matter of any nature effecting the Formula 18 catamarans throughout the World, and its power shall be invested in and carried out by the elected officers of the World Council, National Authorities as provided in this Constitution and By-Laws, but subject to and in accordance with the General Rules and By-Laws of the ISAF.
4. World Council.
- 4.1 The World Council shall comprise the President of the World Council, the past President of the World Council, the Chief Measurer, and the Secretary General who shall all serve a four year term, they may offer themselves for re-election after this term. They will be joined by the elected National Chairmen and/or a full member National representative, who shall attend Council meeting during their tenure of National office.
- 4.2 The World Council shall elect from amongst themselves the President and three Vice Presidents of the IF18CA who shall hold office for four years, election of Vice Presidents shall be based upon Continental considerations. They may offer themselves for re-election after that this term.
- 4.3 The World Council shall meet at the request of the President and three other members of the World Council, but not less than annually at an agreed venue by the President. Meetings must be quorate with one third of members attending. 28 days notice shall be given of the date, time, agenda and venue of World Council meetings, unless all members have agreed to reduce this time.
- 4.4 At the meetings of the World Council, decisions shall be reached by those present by approval of over 50% majority, but members unable to attend shall pass proxy votes to the President of the IF18CA. Each National Chairman shall have votes as laid down in 9.6 of this Constitution, the President shall have the casting vote in the event that their in not a majority.
- 4.5 The World Council may appoint additional officers to perform duties and carry out specific projects and shall hold the office for a period as laid down by the World Council.
- 4.6 The Secretary General shall not hold voting rights, unless elected as a National Chairman. The Secretary General may not be elected President or Vice President.
5. The President of the World Council
- 5.1 The role of the President is to uphold the Constitution of the IF18CA
- 5.2 The President shall chair the meetings of the World Council
- 5.3 He is an ex-officio member of all committees or sub-committees established within the jurisdiction of the World Council
- 5.4 He is responsible for :
- 1. Proper conduct of the World Council meetings
- 2. The legality of the votes taken under his supervision, even when he is called to participate
- 5.5 In case of illness or absence for exceptional reasons, he will be replaced by a Vice President.
6. The Secretary General.
- 6.1 The Secretary General shall be elected by members of the World Council. The Secretary General shall hold office for four years and shall perform the duties as the World Council decides.
- 6.2 The Secretary General shall be responsible for the management of the business of the IF18CA, subject to and in accordance with the Constitution and at the direction of the World Council, including :
- a.) liaison between the World Council and the ISAF and National sailing Authorities
- b.) the co-ordination of regional activities
- c.) liaison between the membership, the Chief Measurer, and National Measurers
- d.) organization of World and Continental Championships
- e.) general advice and assistance to National Authorities and Associations
- f.) the World wide promotion of IF18CA
- 6.3 The Secretary General is responsible for recording minutes and decisions of the World Council of the IF18CA.
- 6.4 The Secretary General is responsible for keeping the documents and archives of the IF18CA.
- If a Secretary General is not in position then the World Council will nominate another Council member to act upon their behalf.
7. The Treasurer
- 7.1 The Treasurer keeps the accounts of the IF18CA.
- 7.2. He is in charge of collecting and recovering all dues, subscriptions and monies due to the IF18CA and paying monies on behalf of the IF18CA.
- 7.3 The Treasurer shall present annual statement of account to the World Council reflecting a true record of the IF18CA accounts.
- 7. The Chief Measurer.
- 7.1 The Chief Measurer shall be a member of the World Council appointed by elected members of the World Council and shall hold office for a period of four years and may offer himself for re-election.
- 7.2 The Chief Measurer shall rule upon all questions a challenges relating to IF18CA rules and shall issue interpretations deem necessary. Such interpretations shall be binding until approved, rejected or modified by the world Council and duly published to all members of National Associations.
- 7.3 The Chief Measurer shall be an International Measurer as certified by the ISAF.
- 7.4 The Chief Measurer shall approve each National Measurer as appointed by National Associations, who may be independent persons and not a member of a National F18 Association.
8. National Associations
- 8.1 For the administration of the affairs of individual countries, and after recognition by their National Authorities, the IF18CA may recognize the National Associations.
- 8.2 The World Council shall have the power to give or withdraw delegation of authority to the National Formula 18 Associations.
- 8.3 Each Formula 18 National Association shall manage their affairs as delegated to them by the World Council.
- 8.4 Each National Association shall elect a committee consisting of Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary who must all be members of their National F18 Association.
- 8.5 Where there is not National Authority or National Authority does not wish to administer the National F18 Association, its function as stated in this Constitution shall be performed by the IF18CA or its delegated representatives.
9. Membership and Voting Rights.
- 9.1 The following types of membership may be recognized :
- a.) Full Membership
- b.) Individual membership
- c.) Associate Membership
- 9.2 Full Membership of the IF18CA shall, upon payment of the prescribed fee, be open to any National F18 Association recognized by the IF18CA.
- 9.3 An individual shall be a member of the National F18 Association of the country in which he normally sails, although that country may not be his permanent residence, For valid reason and with the approval of the National F18 Association of the country in which he normally sails and of the National F18 Association of the country of his permanent residence, he may decide to have such membership.
- 9.4 Associate Membership shall, upon payment of the prescribed annual subscription, be open to any individuals or organizations interested in promoting Formula 18 catamarans in countries, which do not have a National F18 Association, where they shall report annually , in writing, to the World Council of the IF18CA giving an overview of their activities.
- 9.5 Full, Individual and Associate Members shall be bound by this Constitution.
- 9.6 Each full Member shall be entitled to vote at General Meetings of the World Council of the IF18CA as follows:
- A country with 1 to 10 members receives ONE vote, 11 to 20 members TWO votes and so on
- Votes will be withdrawn from National Associations that had not paid their dues by 1st April
- Membership for current year shall be counted as on 31st December previous year.
- 9.7 Each Individual Member shall be entitled to one vote at the General Meetings of their National F18 Association.
- 9.8 Associate Members shall be entitled to attend and speak at General Meetings of their National F18 Association but shall not be eligible to vote.
10. Suspension of Membership.
- 10.1 An individual member of a National F18 Association, on recommendation of his National F18 Association, may be suspended by the World Council of the IF18CA, for gross violation of the Constitution and By-Laws, for committing an unlawful act in relation to the National F18 Association or one of its members, or for any conduct contrary to the interests of the National F18 Association. The duration of suspension shall be fixed by the World Council of the IF18CA but may not exceed two years, and a suspended member shall, during such period, be excluded from racing or enjoying the rights of membership.
- 10.2 A National F18 Association Officer may be removed from office by the World Council for a willful and unjustifiable act of commission or omission, detrimental to the National F18 Association or to one of its members.
11. Appeals to the World Council.
- 11.1 Any dispute in relation to National F18 Associations, eligibility to race, the interpretation of this Constitution and By-Laws of similar matters, other than any dispute as to the interpretation of the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing or any protest in the jurisdiction of the Race Committee, may be referred to, together with all relevant facts, in writing to the World Council whose decision shall be final and binding.
- 12.1 The World Council of the IF18CA may make By-Laws for the purpose of carrying out the objectives of this Constitution.
13. Amendments to this Constitution.
- 13.1 The Constitution of the IF18CA shall only be amended by the IF18CA World Council where at least two thirds of the votes of the National F18 Associations have approved the proposed amendment at a General meeting, providing not less than 28 days notice has been given in each case to the members of the National F18 Associations.
- 13.2 Proposed amendments to this Constitution:
- a.) shall be submitted for the vote of each region and National F18 Association
- b.) By the direction of the World Council
- c.) By the direction of the Secretary General where notice of a motion has been signed by twenty, if existing, and has been submitted to, and approved by a Region or National F18 Association.
- 14.1 In the case of disagreement with this Constitution, parties agree to settle amicably or by means of three arbitrators, one of each party and one by designated arbitrators.
- 15.1 This Constitution shall be interpreted by English Law.